Tuesday 29 March 2016

There is no way I can survive this unit in her class. I either have to plan it on my own, read a lot about holocaust (damn the history education we received. I know nothing. and yes, screw my ignorance and laziness), plan the activities on my own, do them in class, and use our morning planning time just to check in. As we did during my own Unit. I don't have the fucking time. If it was not for the love of my goofy, kind students, I'd talk to my supervisor to let me out of this class.

And yes, I'm sitting at the back of our classroom, she is doing her thing. And I have given up on trying to save students from going insane by her jumping around from one activity to other without even letting them know what was the purpose of this.

Teaching Macbeth in a meaningless way doesnt bother me that much. I dont have a passion for shakespeare yet, and the topic is nothing that important. This book is about concentration camps! genocide. This is about one of the darkest times of the fucking human history. This is horrible. I dont care if our students dont get the complexities of human nature through Macbeth or Hamlet. I don't care if they joke around him being stupid, or Macduff being gay or whatever. But I can't take it when they talk about jews transported in the cattle cars to concentration camps in the most insensitive way possible. "A bunch of people forced to stand in a car and taken to camps"? What camps? "I dont know. forced labor? something with chimneys?"
A bunch of people?
Something like chimneys?

And I can't stand how she avoids talking about the disaster, hiding behind "I am not a social science teacher". Then just shut up and dont teach this book. Not talking about it much better than talking about it avoiding the discomfort that comes with thinking about humans in the darkest of their souls. Don't do it. Don't teach it in a comfortable way. For fuck's sake don't compare holocaust to BULLYING! This is nothing like that.

Again, I'm in the cage of language. I can't even begin to show my anger and frustration in my English writing. Upper case letters are the most miserable way to do it. I'll just shut up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment